Earn money through YouTube branded content, presented by YouTube BrandConnect
Branded content involves a collaboration between a content creator and brand, with the goal of raising awareness of a product or service. Through brand deals, creators can earn by endorsing a brand they think their audience will be interested in. We'll cover more on navigating brand deals and what you need to know before making branded content.
- Estimated time to complete: 15 mins
- Level: “I’ve never tried branded content before.”
- How to qualify: YouTube BrandConnect criteria here
- Date published: June 16, 2020
Branded content in action
See branded content in action with the YouTube BrandConnect Creator Showcase!
Perfect the pitch
Spend time reflecting on your channel, your unique areas of expertise, and the brand categories that you feel could benefit from partnering with you.
- Tip: Evaluate your current content and formats through the lens of a potential brand partner. Does your content currently lend itself to branded integrations? If not, try experimenting with formats that you’ve seen other brands sponsor.
- Tip: There’s a brand partner for every creator; it’s all about identifying your unique attributes, and communicating them effectively to brands.
Brainstorm ways to authentically bring a brand to life within your content, in a way that your fans will engage with. In other words, just be YOU!
- Tip: Remember, it’s okay to stumble while pitching… roll with it! YouTube is all about being your authentic self.
- Tip: It’s a process, if you don’t immediately succeed with a brand pitch, try again!
If you are excited about working with the brand, they will be more excited about working with you
- Tip: Feel free to discuss other relevant brands you’ve worked with, to provide context & credibility
- Tip: Be a creative collaborator; be open with brands and partners about how you plan to bring the brand concept to life.
Demonstrate and communicate why your audience & video content makes sense for the brand’s target audience, and represent a valuable consumer base.
- Insight: It’s not just about sub size. Engagement matters!
- Tip: Focus on your community/fan base’s engagement with your content, rather than simply reporting on your subscriber count
- Insight: Your fans and audience matter to prospective brand partners
- Tip: Talk about who your fan base is and what your fans care about, as they represent the consumer audience that the brand will be reaching through a partnership with you
Am I ready to create branded content?
Ask yourself these questions to determine if branded content makes sense for your channel.
Navigating branded content lingo & formats
- See it action: The Try Guys / Google
- Works best when the brand is seeking a custom idea that is primarily focused on the product or service
- See it action: Hershey’s Hot Cocoa Kisses / The Icing Artist
- Works best when the brand is integrating into a native YouTube format like “Get Ready With Me"
- See it action: Office Depot / Hailey Sani
- Works best when the brand is looking for light touch, scalable partnerships.
Best practices and content clearance tips
Branded content overview
Branded content involves a collaboration between a content creator and brand, with the goal of raising awareness of a product or service. Through brand deals, creators can earn money by endorsing a brand they think their audience will be interested in.
With branded content creators have the ability to:
- Leverage expertise and creativity to gain revenue and grow a business.
- Build credibility and establish authority as a thought-leader.
- Try, test, and experience new brands, products, and services as a valued brand partner.
Brands have the ability to:
- Tap into a highly engaged consumer community.
- Reach audiences outside of the traditional advertising mediums.
- Gain credible word-of-mouth endorsement and recommendation from authentic, diverse voices.
Creators are the heart and soul of YouTube, and we’re dedicated to helping creators grow, make money, and succeed. Benefits to creating branded content on YouTube include endemic long-form content formats, content longevity and discoverability, and the support of YouTube’s in-house branded content team, YouTube BrandConnect.
YouTube BrandConnect is YouTube’s in-house branded content division and one-stop-shop for branded content collaborations. YouTube BrandConnect provides full-service campaign management and uses Google technology to understand your audience, match you with the right brands, and help drive campaign results.
Check out this playlist to see branded content in action.
You’re ready for deals: How to navigate YouTube BrandConnect