Build the hype with Premieres
Premieres are a feature that transform your next upload into an exciting release moment. They help you build excitement for your latest content by letting you join fans to watch your newest video in real-time while chatting and interacting with your community. This lesson shows you how to set up a Premiere and offers tips on making it a successful event.
- Estimated time to complete: 20 Min
- Level: “I’ve never used Premieres before”
- Numbers of subs to qualify: No minimum required
- Date published: November 25, 2019
Need more help with Premieres? Check out the Help Center!
Head's up: When you set your audience as “made for kids”, we'll restrict certain features to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and other applicable laws. When this happens, live chat won’t be available on individual videos or live streams. Find more here.
Best practices for using Premieres
1. Promote your Premiere by sharing the watch page URL, teasing the Premiere in the Community tab or across social media platforms, and encouraging fans to set reminders so they don’t miss it.
2. Upload a Premiere between 60 minutes and 3 hours before the release.
3. Live chat with fans.Chat functionality is enabled before and during the Premiere. Here are some best practices when chatting:
- Actively engage with fans and be a part of the watching experience by adding talking points at certain moments in your content.
- Encourage fans to ask questions.
- Use chat moderators as a way to help find and reply to comments more quickly.
- Enable chat replay to help late-comers feel just as hyped about your Premiere.
- Thank viewers who attended the Premiere.
If you’re eligible for Super Chat and have enabled this feature, tell viewers where the money is going in your Premiere (e.g., to buy new equipment, to fund a specific project or goal)
Premieres in action
How to set up a Premiere
Setting up a premiere is simple
Once you’re logged in, click the video icon at the top of YouTube and select ‘upload video’ .
Follow the prompt to upload your video. Drag your video file to the center of the prompt for a quicker way to upload.
Fill out your metadata in the fields provided.
Check the box to “set as Premiere,” and schedule the date and time you’d like your video to be released.
Share the event with your fans and countdown to the launch!
Once scheduled, you’ll be given a shareable link to the watch page, where fans can engage until your premiere begins. Time badge will show “Premiere will begin shortly”.
Once the premiere is about to begin, the countdown timer will start at 2 minutes.
Check your knowledgeSee what you know about premieres
YouTube PremieresPremiering your video allows you to schedule a video upload and to create buzz around the video with a shareable watch page.