Handle hurtful or inappropriate comments
As you probably know, not all comments are positive or appropriate. YouTube recognizes how incredibly important it is for you to keep your community positive and safe, and for you to maintain your own well-being. Because of this, we’ve created tools that can help at the comment level and your channel level.
Here are actions you can take at the comment level
Remove the comment and all of its replies.
- Do this by clicking the three dots next to the comment, and select “Remove”. You can also do this from within YouTube Studio in the “Comments” tab.
Here are actions you can take at the channel level
Set upload defaults.
From your YouTube Settings, go to the Community tab, then “Defaults”. From here, you can choose to
- Allow all comments.
- Hold potentially inappropriate comments for review.
- Hold all comments for review.
- Disable comments.
- Note: If you hold any comments for review they will not appear publicly until you’ve reviewed them.
The setting you choose applies to all of your new videos, and you can also select these defaults on an individual video basis in the “Advanced” tab.
Create a blocked words list.
- Sometimes people may use words or phrases that you don’t want to see on your channel.
- From channel Settings, go to the Community tab where you’ll see a section for “Blocked words” and add words or phrases that you don’t want to appear in your comments section.
- When someone tries to comment using a blocked word, it won’t appear publicly and will be held for your review.
Add comment moderators.
- Add trusted community members to flag comments on your videos for removal.
- The comments they flag are removed from the public comments section, and can be found in your “Held for Review” queue as "Flagged by moderator" until you approve or remove them.
- You can add a moderator in your channel Settings under “Community”, or from the “Comments” tab in YouTube Studio.
Turn off comments completely.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed by comments and these tools, you can choose always turn off all comments by selecting “Disable comments” in your Community defaults.
- This will only affect new videos, but you can change the setting on old videos through bulk actions in Studio on desktop.