Frameworks in action
Real-world examples of the frameworks in action. Learn a streamlined process to develop made-for-web content that audiences choose to watch.
Bring it all together
While the ideas included in the other lessons in this section may have provided some inspiration, none of the frameworks work in isolation. When layered together, the frameworks can provide an effective architecture for meeting marketing objectives.
- Entertain-Educate-Inspire. Use this framework to choose a creative tone for your message: will you create an entertaining, educational, or inspirational video content campaign?
- YouTube platform strategies. Success on YouTube depends on the specific marketing objective and choosing the appropriate way to engage on the platform. Creating platform-specific content, choosing to collaborate with creators, and becoming an always-on publisher are three approaches that provide a starting point to developing a cohesive and effective editorial schedule for YouTube.
- Hero-Hub-Help. And finally, when deciding on ways to organize and create content at scale, the Hero-Hub-Help framework can be useful for making programming decisions.
- Review the Creator Academy lesson on the Hero-Hub-Help framework.
- Complete lesson on the Entertain-Educate-Inspire framework about the three types of videos that add value.
- Subscribe to Think with Google to stay ahead of consumer and marketing trends (Resource in English)
Create Hero content for short- or long-term goals
Imagine a brand’s peak sales season is coming up and its goal is to raise awareness among target consumers for a short period of time. To meet this short-term goal, the brand should create Hero content that’s designed to be memorable and discoverable during the targeted timeframe.
A brand planning a major overhaul of its image should run a campaign across variety of media channels. The focus should be on creating Hero content that’s aligned with existing campaigns, but also created specifically for YouTube and designed to reach a broader audience.
See it in action
Dove Real Beauty SketchesDove’s “Real Beauty” Hero content aligned with the brand, and inspired viewers. The campaign was designed to transform women’s self-images from a source of anxiety into a source of confidence. This three-minute video gained traction beyond the brand’s traditional audience, becoming the most-watched online ad ever, with over 163 million views globally and 4.6 billion media impressions
Create Hub content for a longer-term goal
Now imagine the brand decides to invest more heavily into developing content for YouTube and apply techniques similar to those that creators use. It’s important to produce both Hero and Help content, but one of the things that makes creators successful is the emphasis on Hub content, such as episodic videos that use recurring themes and formats. Hub content encourages viewers to tune in to channel uploads.
Given the potential that exists on YouTube, applying creator-like tactics can help build a loyal—and engaged—audience. Hub content gives viewers a reason to keep coming back and build a relationship with the channel. As an audience grows, the benefits include more reach, higher engagement, and increased watch time.
- Identify topics or content that the target audience may be interested in before producing Hub content.
- Define long-term metrics such as quarterly subscriber growth to measure success.
See it in action
Create Help content for a longer-term goal
Creating Help content can be helpful in drawing an audience since the content is designed to respond to intent.
- Many people come to YouTube to search for a specific topic. Quickly and clearly answering these types of queries with video is a natural way to increase exposure and reach new audiences.
- As viewers' interests change over time, creating new content that answers their questions is a simple way to build a content library. These might include tutorials on how to do a task or a general question about the industry.
- Help content can be a great way to build a loyal following. When you consistently provide useful information, viewers may come to view your channel as an authority on a particular subject. At the end of the video, invite the audience to subscribe to the channel by showing examples of other content on the channel or a description of how frequently new content is posted.
- Create at least eight pieces of Help content when launching a new campaign to drive channel discoverability.
See it in action
Collaborate with a creator on Hero, Hub, or Help content
When brands decide to collaborate with an established creator, the content produced can be any combination of Hero, Help, or Hub content.
- Brands can partner with established YouTube creators on a short-term campaign.
- Or, brands can build ongoing partnerships with creators for long-term goals.
- Review the complete case study of how a YouTube creator collaborated with a brand on Think with Google.
See it in action
SPENCER FC VS SIDEMEN UTD! - Wembley Cup Final! #10British communications firm EE collaborated with YouTube creators on a campaign that included Hub series, and Hero content. The EE Wembley Cup campaign followed Spencer FC as he built an all-star team of creators to challenge another group of creators at the home of English football, Wembley Stadium. This collaboration played a critical role in helping EE reach its marketing goals.