What can I do about a Content ID claim?
What can I do about this claim?
|Do nothing. If you agree with the claim, you can just move on. You can always change your mind later if you disagree with the claim.|
|Dispute the claim. If you have the required rights to use the copyright-protected content in your video, you can dispute the claim. Read more about disputes below!|
|Remove the music. If you get a claim for a piece of music in your video, you can try to remove the song without having to edit and upload a new video. The video's URL, view count, and comments will stay the same. Learn more.|
|Swap the music. If music in your video is claimed, but you still want to have music in the background, you can swap out the audio track with one of our free-to-use songs. You don't need to re-upload. The video's URL, view count, and comments will stay the same. Learn more.|
|Trim out segment. You can cut out the beginning, middle, or end part of your video that has been claimed. You don't need to re-upload. The video's URL, view count, and comments will stay the same. Learn more.|
|Share revenue. If you’re a member of our YouTube Partner Program, and your video has been claimed and monetized for a musical composition, you may be able to share revenue with the music publisher owner(s). Learn more.|
Head’s up! During the dispute and appeals process, you won’t have the option to edit your video by removing the music, swapping the music or trimming the video.
What to know before you dispute
- Make sure you understand how fair use and the public domain work before you choose to dispute for either of those reasons.
- YouTube can’t help you determine whether you should dispute a claim. You may want to seek your own legal advice if you’re not sure what to do.
- Head’s up! Repeated or malicious abuse of the dispute process can result in penalties against your video or channel.
How to dispute a Content ID claim
- Sign in to YouTube Studio.
- From the left menu, select Videos.
- Click on Copyright claim next to the respective video under the Monetization column if available. Otherwise, you’ll see this option under the Visibility column.
- Click on View Copyright claim details.
- This will take you to the Video Copyright Info page that provides information such as what’s been claimed in your video and who claimed it.
- Click Dispute under SELECT ACTION.
Head’s up! If you dispute a claim without a valid reason, the copyright owner may choose to take down your video. If this happens, your account will get a copyright strike.