Health and wellness in a fast-paced career
Being a YouTube creator is a creative and demanding career.. Staying healthy--physically and mentally--is key to making sure stress doesn’t take a toll on your body. Learn tips to keep you recharged and feeling good.
Exercise and diet
According to experts, when your body is working well, your mind is too. A happy body can even let you communicate better and come up with new ideas. The amount of movement you get and what you eat contribute to how your body feels. Getting a little sweaty can help reduce stress and release endorphins--which can make you feel happier.
When food shopping, experts recommend to try to choose ‘whole foods’ like fruit and vegetables, rather than food that has been overly processed. Processed foods often contain added sugar and artificial ingredients. Reading the label on foods can be useful too--if you don’t know what all of the ingredients are, think twice about whether or not you should you put them in your body.
Listen to your body and find the diet and exercise patterns that work best for you.
- Make it social. Try mixing being active with hanging out with your friends--like taking a hike or playing a sport.
- Consider scheduling your workouts ahead of time. Putting exercise on your calendar can make you more motivated and accountable for it.
See it in action
Not sure where to start?Search for fitness channels on YouTube and find a topic that interests you. From pilates to cardio, there’s something for almost everyone!
Energy level and sleep
Taking time for yourself and unwinding is important and can help keep your energy from getting depleted. There are lots of ways to do this, like getting a massage, going outside in nature, finding solitude and quiet, or even being around some friends. Relaxing can even help inspire new ideas! Finding ways you can relax can help you stay grounded and reduce stress.
It can be hard to quiet your brain down, but that’s important to do! Distractions are common and multitasking is something we’re all used to doing. But it’s actually really confusing for your brain to try to focus on more than one thing at a time. So remember to try to focus on one thing at a time and breathe, especially when you’re stressed or your mind is racing.
Meditation is a way to chill out and give your brain a break from the endless to-do list. If you get distracted easily, try writing down all of the thoughts going through your head before meditating. And you don’t have to sit still--yoga can be a great way to quiet your mind while moving your body around.
Getting enough sleep ensures you’re recharged and can make the best out of your day. Sleep experts explain that when you don’t get enough sleep, your body reacts and you won’t be able to perform at your best.
- Designate certain times of day to be device-free.
- Turn unimportant notifications off on your mobile devices or make them silent.
- If you want to track the amount of sleep you get, there are apps and wearables that can do this.
See it in action
Try yoga out on YouTubeYoga with Adriene is one of many channels on YouTube that offers free yoga videos.
Happiness is important too
Creators and wellness experts both agree that happiness is influenced, in part by external factors but mostly by the way you view your life. Here are a few things you can do to stay positive and happy:
- Gratitude can help shift your point of view. Make a list of things that you’re grateful for today. Think about where you were a year ago and how far you’ve come--even if your channel isn't exponentially bigger, you've probably grown as a person and had some cool experiences. Remember to enjoy the journey!
- Be comfortable saying “no”. Find ways to say no to things, initially, that you know you don’t have time for. This can help you prioritize and balance your schedule.
- Embrace the good and eliminate the bad. Examine what makes you happy and try to spend more time on this.
- Acknowledge your emotions--whether good, bad, or neutral. Emotions are just passing feelings that your brain and body react to. If you’re having a bad day, find out why. First, notice what emotions you feel--maybe write them down. Then think about what made you feel this way. Last, try to separate the story (the ‘why’) from the emotion. Understanding why you feel the way you do can help you release the emotion or change it.
- Keep a collection of positive posts/screenshots from your YouTube community.
- Vitamin D from sunshine can sometimes help people feel happier. If possible, try going outside and feeling the sun.
- Music can help lift spirits too! If you’re feeling down, find your favorite song and give it a listen.
- Make sure you have things in your life that are separate from YouTube.